Saturday 17 May 2014

Tarot Tip Tuesdays - The Devil Is A Scary Card

Whether you are new to Tarot and in the throes of building a connection with your Tarot cards or an advanced Tarot reader diligently honing your Tarot reading skills, I am putting out a Tarot tip a week to help you to consistently make Tarot a part of your everyday life.

So here goes your Tarot Tip for this Tuesday:


I was working with one of my Tarot protégés yesterday, practicing some new spreads when she picked the Devil and felt so uncomfortable with it that she struggled with the interpretation of the card as a result.  Much of the fear was caused by how she was taught to view the Devil from her religious upbringing.  She confessed that that was one card she would put aside and not read with it when she picked it in a spread.  She went ahead instead to pick other cards, choosing to ignore the Devil. She jokingly called the card, "It whose name should not be mentioned." 

When I first started out as a new and inexperienced Tarot reader, I too was uncomfortable with a couple of cards. One was the Devil. The image of the Devil in a lot of Tarot decks often appeared quite scary.  It did not help that my Catholic upbringing saw me reading books about how scarily evil the Devil was. Today, the only deck where the Devil is portrayed in a more colorful and less scary manner is the one in Barbara Moore's Tarot deck, Book of Shadows Volume 2 So Below. The Devil in that deck is represented by the image of a sundae! 

This was what I did to overcome the discomfort. I meditated on the Devil card. You can use the same method with any other cards in the deck that you are uncomfortable with.

When I meditated on a Tarot card, I visualized myself  “walking” into the cards to have a “conversation” with the images in the cards. 
Meditating On The Devil Card
I used The Devil card from the Radiant Rider Waite Tarot deck.  When I meditated on The Devil, I acknowledged my fear and discomfort. This would force me to look at the details around me when I "walked into the card" and I looked at them in an objective manner.  By stepping back and viewing the image objectively, I realized it was not a scary card once I focused on the significance of the details of the imagery.  The Devil card  made me question my intent a lot whenever I arrived at his doorstep.  He would remind me of the folly of being too attached or obsessed with material gains, and forced me to confront my fears by opening my mind to other options in my life if my attachments to certain things start to do my head in.  He’s a bit of a cool dude though quite ugly.  First I ventured to talk to the 2 people in chains, but I hear a distressed mutter, "What do I do? What do I do?"  I then asked the Devil in that card,  “Why have you captured these 2 people?  Can’t you let them go?”  He replied me quite calmly, “It may be a short leash Joanna, but their collars are loosely fastened.  They have the free choice to remove these chains and leave if they want to.”  Cool, ugly but wise too.  
Over the years, it became one of my favorite cards.


May your Tarot cards provide you with a full deck of possibilities throughout your day.

If you like this blogpost, do follow my blog at http://sungoddesstarot.blogspot.com and LIKE my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SunGoddessTarot


About The Writer:

The writer of this blog post is a marketeer by trade, and a tarot card reader by accident. She was awarded a Certified Professional Tarot Reader qualification from the Tarot Certification Board of America (TCBA) and is also a certified numerologist.  She is currently running a Tarot consultancy based in Singapore called Sun Goddess Tarot,  which provides confidential intuitive readings combining the metaphysical disciplines of Tarot, Numerology and Astrology via face to face and emails as well as readings at corporate and private events and workshops.  A member of the American Tarot Association (ATA) and the Tarot Association of the British Isles (TABI), she is also a reader for the Free Tarot Network and mentors Tarot protégés on behalf of the American Tarot Association

Website: www.sungoddesstarot.com
Email:  Joanna@sungoddesstarot.com
Facebook:  www.facebook.com/SunGoddessTarot
Twitter: www.twitter.com/SunGoddessTarot



No comments:

Post a Comment